On Saturdays, we go on long runs.
Another adventure through the streets of Garden City! Today’s run was 75 minutes of progression. With a one mile warmup and cool down, my goal was to fit another 6 miles in between. My run was divided into thirds, each being a little bit faster than the last. Miles 2 & 3 felt rough and the thought of moving my legs any quicker seemed daunting. Again, I was obsessing over my Garmin and the strange pace it said I was running. Miles 2 and 3 ended up at 9:27 & 9:26 pace. After chunk 1 of 3, it was time to pick it up a bit. I actually felt better when I picked up the pace. I held myself strong at a 9:14 and 9:15 then cruised up to 8:55! Quick stop to stretch out my ankle and have a Gu (salted caramel is deliciousss btw!) Off to the finish! So I head off and take the last chunk of my run to give it my all. I had a straight shot down a long street and finished my last mile with an 8:35! Where did that come from?! I started my run struggling to move at a 9:30 pace with achy knees, but such a strong finish. Never judge a run by the first mile.
Ten Thoughts on My Long Run:
- I shouldn’t have worn long sleeves. OMG. Why can’t I ever dress appropriately?
- I wear crops year round. I just can’t figure out my arms.
- Hmm… where should I go?
- Stewart Avenue… oh hey, EVERY OTHER RUNNER.
- Sunglasses were a good choice today… I bet I look cool and mysterious.
- If I did my runs on Sunday I could call it Sunday Runday
- But let’s be honest, I’m not going to want to run tomorrow. Pull it together, girl!
- Other runners probably need sunglasses for my electric yellow shoes
- And bright green pants. Can’t miss me! Here I come!
- Oh crap, why would I put the hill at the END of my run?!