Two weeks ago I wrote about my secret to meal prep success. Today I am taking you behind the scenes of some of my favorite tools that assist in my conquering of the kitchen. Have you ever walked into Bed Bath and Beyond for an item and suddenly came up with a need for 10 different kitchen accessories? Anyone? Okay well I’ll be honest, I am a sucker for a trip to BBB. And don’t get me started on Home Goods. OFCOURSE I need that random wine glass with a cute quote and that placemat which is perfect for taking photos on.
So over the years, I have tried and tested a million different kitchen tools. This is probably an exaggeration but maybe not by much. So here are a list of the essentials that I think everyone should have in their kitchen. I excluded some of the obvious like pots and pans (even though I just received my first stock pot as a present this Christmas #lifechanging) and got right down to the fun stuff.
1)8” Chef’s Knife. This is the #1 tool that everybody should have his or her kitchen. It is not only an investment in your health, but also a huge time saver. I recommend heading over to your local cooking store and holding a variety of knives. I would also inquire about a knife skills class while you are there. I picked up my Shun knife at my local Sur La Table after I took one of their classes. You will save so much time in the kitchen with the appropriate chef’s knife!
2) Serrated Paring Knife. Just like a chef’s knife, having an appropriate paring knife will save you mega time in the kitchen. I love to use this on some of my fruits and vegetables and it is especially helpful for cherry tomatoes! Added bonus: they are adorable.
3) Cutting Boards. This may seem like an obvious answer but after visiting some friends, it needs to be said. You want to have a few different sizes to fit the occasion. I like to use a small one for smelly things like herbs and garlic and a big one for all of my vegetable prep. There is nothing worse than trying to prep something on a board that is too small. Why bother!?
4) Ninja Blender System (Blender/Food Processor). I was worried about the price of the Ninja when I first bought it but it was worth every penny. This isn’t my exact one but it is very close. Find a single base that can blend, chop, pulse, mix EVERYTHING. We use all of the accessories on a regular basis so it is nice to have that universal base. The single serve cups are great for smoothies and the two different food processor sizes is fantastic. I live in a smaller appointment so having one base is a huge space saver.
5) Garlic Peeler. It seems so simple yet it amazes me every time. I feel like every single recipe calls for garlic. Throw a clove in, roll it back and forth, and it comes out naked and ready to be chopped!
6) Garlic Press. Okay so this may seem silly but it is not I promise. I have mentioned it before that I hate chopping garlic. This press saves my relationship with garlic and it is perfect! The plastic grate makes it easy to clean and it works like a charm. I have tested several different presses and this one wins by leaps and bounds. I bought 4 of them to give as Christmas presents because they are that good!
7) Apple Slicer. My favorite way to start my day is an apple and my coffee. I always follow it up with a real breakfast of some sort but it’s just the perfect wake me up. Ever since I had braces in high school (wahhhhh), I haven’t been able to bite into apples! It’s also not the safest while operating a motor vehicle. This gadget is used every day and it has held up over time with perfect apple slice after perfect apple slice.
What are some of your favorite kitchen gadgets? Is there something I should add to my list?