Runner’s World defines the taper as “the reduction of exercise before a competition or race. Tapering is believed to be essential for best performance and can take from as little to a week to two or three weeks.” During a taper, mileage cuts back and intensity cools down. When race week comes, it’s time to focus on resting and mentally preparing for the big day. The countdown to Brooklyn is on… 4 days! And yesterday I was bad. I tried to cheat the taper.
At the end of last week, I started having some back pain (over doing it on my workouts) and one of the PT’s I work with told me my back muscles were in a spasm. Ouch. To avoid further aggravation, I skipped my long run and exercising over the weekend. Then Sunday night I started reading other people’s recaps of Brooklyn and their sub-2 half marathons. And maaaybe I freaked a little bit. So Monday morning I woke up and went for my last run before Brooklyn. It should have been easy. Leisurely. A walk in the park. I should have just walked in the park. But mentally, I needed to make sure I could run a 9 minute mile… so I ran 3 of them.
And then Pam yelled at me 😦 I tried to cheat my taper and squeeze in some extra speedwork. Needless to say, my back started acting up again yesterday so now I am listening to my body! Ice and Advil, ftw. But I was pretty damn proud of myself!
I’ve come up with some things to keep me occupied for the rest of the week so I’m not tempted to try a race pace run again. When a training cycle is coming to an end and it’s time to taper, try making a list of activities so that you stay busy- it will be perfect to distract you from the decreased mileage!
- Monday: (After my little running adventure…) I cooked chicken and brussels sprouts to eat for lunch at work! Brussels were marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper, & rosemary then roasted at 375* until crispy ❤
- Tuesday: Manicure & pedicure! Splurged and got a foot massage, too 😉 Nails are painted the same pink as the Brooklyn race logo for inspiration
- Wednesday: *singing Rihanna* Work, work, work, work, work, work
- Thursday: Pre-Race Party! I am so pumped to check out the food vendors- HA! I’m bringing my mom along to party with me then we are heading to the Mets game!
- Friday: Pasta party (duh!) Should I go for some garlic knots, too?
Our friend Race Pace Jess also created a list of things for keeping yourself busy the week before a race. Check her list out here!
Until Saturday, fingers crossed for sunny skies and PRs! ❤