Here is my go to strength training workout to focus on my core and glute strength and my single leg stability. Incorporate this workout into your weekly schedule and become a stronger, healthier runner!
Perform each exercise and then repeat for 1-3 rounds.
1) Plank: line up so your elbows are under your shoulders, your forearms are flat on the ground, your head is parallel with the ground, and your toes are tucked under. Engage your core and lift up so your back is flat and squeeze your abs, quads, and glutes. Hold for 30-90s.
2) Side Plank: line up so your elbow is under your shoulder, your feet/hips/shoulders are stacked, and lift up so you form a straight line from your feet to your head. Make sure you are engaging your obliques and not compensating in your shoulders or back. Hold for 30-60s.
3) Bridge: lie on your back with your legs bent. Squeeze your glutes and lift up. Make sure you aren’t letting your knees collapse in or arching your back. 15x
4) Single Leg Bridge: lie on your back with your legs bent. Extend one leg out straight and squeeze your glutes and lift up. Be sure to keep your hips level. 15x each side
5) Bird Dog: place yourself on all 4s so your knees are under your hips and your hands are under your shoulders. Engage core and extend opposite arm and leg. Pause. Return to starting position and perform on opposite side. 15x each side.
6) Body Weight Squats: with feet shoulder width apart and weight through your heels, sit down and back keeping good form. 15x
7) Stationary Lunges: take a step back with on leg and while keeping your chest upright, bend both knees and lower hips toward the ground. Keep your glutes fired throughout the exercise. 15x
8) Monster Walk: place mini band just above the knees, standing with feet hip width apart and knees slightly bent. Step out to the side then step the other leg to follow, keeping tension on the band. Fire those glutes! 15x each side
9) Standing Clamshell: this one is one of my coworker’s favorite exercises. Place mini band just above the knees and stand in a small squat position. Stabilize your glute in the stationary leg and then push the opposite knee outward, rotating at the hip. 15x each side.
10) Single Leg RDL: start with one foot planted on the ground. Keeping the core tight and back flat, reach the opposite arm while lifting that leg straight back. Reach to the ground until you feel a stretch in the hamstrings, then squeeze the glutes and return to standing. 15x each side
Share with us how your workout goes!