Do you ever get food envy of your co-workers? Maybe they packed something for lunch and it looks and smells great! Meanwhile you’re staring at a container full of lettuce, tomatoes, and plain chicken. This is the end of what we call “sad salads!” Colorful, flavorful, and nutritionally dense- this recipe also serves as a guideline on how to build yourself a fantastic meal. I am sure your friends will have food envy of your lunch this week.
- Kale or other Dark Leafy Green (DLG)
- Grilled Chicken
- Crumbled Feta
- Red Peppers
- Red Onion
- Sunflower Seeds
- Dried Cranberries
- Olive Oil or Vinaigrette Dressing
- Marinate your kale! Kale has a bitter taste which many people are not a fan of. Try drizzling a Tbsp. or so (depending on how large of a salad you are making) and massage it into the leaves. Let it sit in the fridge and soak up the flavors! Spinach is another great DLG and good source of protein. *Pro tip: I LOVE Garlic Expressions dressing/ marinade but it is a Northwest Ohio local product. You can buy it here, but choose your favorite Vinaigrette dressing! Always note how much sugar there is in your dressings- they can be sneaky.
- Add in your protein! Make some grilled chicken as a part of your weekly meal prep then cut it into bite size pieces ready to add to your salad. For added fiber and
protein add in some beans like chickpeas. Mix in some cooked quinoa, too! Make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge. *Pro tip: If you are short on time try TJ’s frozen quinoa which is pre-cooked.
- Add in all the veggies. The more colorful your salad, the better! Chop them up and throw them all in a container together so they are ready to add throughout the week. Red & green peppers, carrots and red onion are personal favorites. *Pro tip: if you don’t like the bitterness of red onion/ bad breath chop it up then soak in cold water for 10 minutes!
- Healthy fats! Avocados, nuts, and seeds are easy go tos for salads. I love throwing in some unsalted sunflower seeds and diced up avocado. Don’t forget the fun toppings… aka cheese. A few crumbles of feta give your salad a little bit more flavor 🙂
- Keep it all in a Tupperware then shake it up when you are ready to eat! (Star Wars container is not mandatory, but makes it more fun!)
How do you keep it lean and green? What’s your go-to salad combo? Share with us in the comments!