Tapering during the last few weeks leading up to a marathon is important for an athlete’s body. During this time your miles are cut down while maintaining a little intensity in order to allow time to rest and recover from weeks of training. After pounding the pavement for hours each week, the body needs to heal and you need to find time to focus and be ready to run on race day. Maybe tapering sounds delightful, but often it brings out the craziness. Here we have a few solutions to calm your nerves in the last weeks before the big race!
- Stop checking the weather. We are still 9 days out from the Chicago Marathon and so many things can change before then. If you’re worrying about what to wear, then pick out a second option in case the weather changes again (it will). Take the time to pack your other clothes for pre-race activities and travel days.
- Give yourself a fabulous manicure. Whether you do it yourself or get pampered at the salon, it will be a special treat! We got excited and got these awesome Chicago themed nail wraps from Sarah Marie Design Studio.
- Create an awesome playlist. If you enjoy listening to music while you run, then begin adding your favorite songs! What is going to get you excited on race day? Favorite songs? New songs on the radio? Add them all! And if you’re like me, you’ll be running for over 4 hours and need plenty of entertainment
- Feeling Phantom Pains? Go sit down or use your foam roller. Embrace the fact that you get to rest a little bit more. Know that your body is recovering on a cellular level and it’s okay if you have heavy legs or tired muscles. Know that a little TLC is just what your body needs.
- Focus on your positive mantras. One of my clients said it best in a comment on our Facebook page, “You’ve put in the work. So, no need to get all worked up. Trust your training. Speak positive mantras! Tell yourself all the wonderful things you want to be on race day and your actions will follow your words. See yourself crossing that finish line. What you are about to succeed in is an awesome achievement. Enjoy your taper time!!”
See you at the finish line!