What an adventure it has been! As we all know – I had to take some time off from running after the fall marathon season. We needed some time apart to let our relationship heal. Well now here we are – IT”S RACE WEEKEND!!! While NYC is not a goal race for me – I do want to have a strong performance to set me up for a dominating Brooklyn race in May.
Race week is always an exciting time. There is buzz everywhere you look and since I work in the industry – it also means some extra work obligations but I LIVE FOR IT! So now we are 24 hours out from toeing the start line so here is a little sneak peak of my to do list to ensure a successful race day!
To Do List:
- Pick Up Bib from NYC Half Expo – Head on down to 125 W 18th St to indulge in the United Experience! Grab your bib, shop the race apparel, hop in a photo booth, and find your name on the wall.
- Build Playlist – I am an avid music listener when I run (I know I know – races recommend that you don’t wear headphones) and a playlist can help push through those tough moments. I’ve been listening to Brave Body Project’s playlists on Spotify during training so they are included on my race day jam list.
- Charge ALL electronics – Phones, watches, headphones (not for me – I still like the classic apple headphones) galore. If you remember back to the NYC marathon – the outlet I chose to charge my devices was faulty and it created panic on race morning. WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE TODAY.
- Layout Clothes – This includes my race day outfit, throw away clothes for that dreaded pre race wait, and my post race I-May-Freeze-To-Death-Outfit that Al will carry with him (if you don’t have a cheer squad meeting you – please check a bag with a warm outfit). And don’t forget to take a flat for IG 🙂
- Write Out Race Morning Plan – Start with the time your wave goes off (7:30 or 8:15) and work backwards to waking up. Be specific and leave extra time for the unexpected. Are you taking the subway? LIRR? Private car? Are you eating your breakfast at home or packing it with you? Don’t assume you will remember anything with race brain – WRITE.IT.DOWN.
- Double Check Fueling – Speaking of breakfast – make sure you have it on hand! If you are fueling during the race make sure you have them packed including 1 extra (just in case you drop one!).
- Visualize Race Plan – You’ve done the training and now it’s time to put your feet up, visualize the race of your dreams, and relax (maybe spend a little time on your roller!). YOU’VE GOT THIS.
Do you have any race day prep you always do before a race? Let me know below 🙂 Good luck to all of the runners!